This is the best thing if you’re living in Delhi NCR because you can plan a holiday trip with your family and friends to any weekend destination near Delhi. There are lot of tourist places and picnic spots around Delhi where you can visit to enjoy weekend break for lot of sightseeing experience, adventurous games, and fun activities. I’m living in Gurgaon (very close to Delhi) since 2009, so I believe my suggestions will be helpful to all. Ofcourse I’ve visited lot of these weekend destinations nearby Delhi NCR several times in last few years. 🙂
So today I’ve another blog post about the best weekend holiday destinations from New Delhi. Have a look into these –
Places to Visit near Delhi
If you ask me what are the places to visit near Delhi on weekends? I’ll suggest you go Rishikesh because it is the most visiting weekend destination from Delhi. But why Rishikesh is so famous for tourism? Because Rishikesh is the one of the best places in India for adventurous sports like, river rafting, camping, rock climbing, kayaking, cliff jumping in river, and very famous bungee jumping.
I visited Rishikesh last year in April 2015 with colleagues on my company’s annual holiday vacation. This trip was so adventures and memorable! We did 28 km. long dangerous river rafting, bungee jumping (not me 🙂 ), rock climbing, zipline, and enjoyed bonfire in night with the glass of whisky, dj dance, and much more activities in our private camp 🙂 🙂
It is really hard to express how adventures to visit Rishikesh with friends. It is tough to believe until you experience yourself!
So plan a trip any weekend to Rishikesh from Delhi because I can bet it will be your best travel experience so far!
Best time to visit Rishikesh: Throughout the year
Distance from Delhi to Rishikesh by road: 232 kilometer
How to reach Rishikesh from Delhi by Road, Air, and Train?
- By road, you can hire a private taxi or self drive your car, or book bus ticket from Delhi to Rishikesh.
- By train, take the train from Delhi to Haridwar and then pick a local bus or hire a taxi to reach Rishikesh for adventure trip.
- Dehradun Jolly Grant airport is easiest way to reach by air.
Check below our river rafting video. You can also get video recording of your ride as I have but it will cost you around 1000 INR or more per person.
2. Jim Corbett National Park
No wonder if you’ve already visited Jim Corbett and found the jungle safari so thrilling and adventures, it is always good to watch the animals without any barricades. I believe you guys all know what a most famous national park can offer, but still if you wanna know what is the hidden treasure of this amazing place; of course the famous Indian species. The famous Bengal Tiger, Elephants, Leopards, Birds, Deer, and Crocodiles are the center of attraction of the park. Take a tour of Jeep safari or thrilling Elephant ride, and experience the best of wildlife.
The popularity of this weekend destination is increasing dramatically in the last few years because it is one of its kind attraction and easy to travel from Delhi and nearby cities. The group of youngsters, the office fellow groups, couples, and photographers can be easily recognized in 1,318.54 square kilometers area.
So if you have recently purchased a DSLR camera or you’re a photographer by passion or profession, Jim Corbett weekend trip from Delhi is just for you. Click the picture of Indian wildlife and do some showoff by showing the Jim Corbett photographs and Tiger pictures to those who even don’t want to see
Best time to visit Jim Corbett national park: Any time of the year but avoid in summer
Jim Corbett distance from Delhi: 238 km
How to reach Jim Corbett from Delhi by road and train?
- By road is the easiest way to reach Jim Corbett Nation Park. Hire a taxi from New Delhi to Ramnagar (240 km.), and Jim Corbett is just 15 km. away from there. You can also reach by bus as well.
- Catch the train directly from Delhi to Ramnagar or Kathgodam/ Haldwani/Kashipur and reach Ramnagar by the road.
- Pantnagar is the nearest airport to reach Jim Corbett from Delhi by air. It is approx 50 km. away from the park.
If you have gone through my earlier blog posts ‘ the best historical places in India‘ and ‘ the best places to visit in India‘, you have surely uncovered what uniqueness of Agra attracts huge numbers of travelers from Delhi. But not only from Delhi or any specific city, even tourist from across the world visit Agra for seeing the greatest architectures of Mughals. The famous Taj Mahal, Agra Fort, Sikandra Fort, Fatehpur Sikri, Diwan-I-Am, Diwan-I-Khas and few other historical places make Agra the best weekend destination to visit from Delhi on weekend. However, Taj Mahal is remains close on Friday because of Jumma Day. So make sure you’re not planning to visit Taj at moonlit night on Friday.
However, the key reason why people prefer Agra trip on weekend because it is so easy to commute compared to any other tourist destination nearby Delhi NCR. It hardly takes two and half hours by road and three hours by train, and all the places can be visited in one day. What more can you accept in a day on weekend trip!
Best time to visit Agra: Winter season (November to mid of March)
Agra distance from Delhi: 210 km.
How to reach Agra (Taj Mahal) from Delhi: By Road, By Train
- The distance between Delhi to Agra via Yamuna Expressway is approx 231 km. You can self drive to Agra or take public transport to reach there.
- There is lot of super fast trains from Delhi to Agra every day. Catch anyone and save more because railway is multiple time economical than road transport.
- Delhi to Agra by flight: No operation flight services!
Endless reasons to visit Jaipur because there are uncountable places to see in the Pink City! Whether you love historical forts, luxury palaces, mouth watering foods, traditional shopping, picturistic locations, or adventurous elephant safari; Jaipur weekend trip from Delhi will never disappoint you. Take a historical trip to Hawa Mahal, visit City Palace museum, and never miss the hidden treasure of the city – the famous Kathputli Puppet show (usually performs in luxury 5 star hotels by organizer). Check here more details on the best 5 star hotel in Jaipur.
However, the historical tour to Jaipur is the key reason why people prefer to go Jaipur on weekend. But peoples from all the nearby destinations visit here to be a part of Jaipur colorful festivals, Rajasthani art and culture, famous handmade craft, and the city itself which is decorated and planned using pink stones.
So plan a trip to Jaipur and make some beautiful memories in this cultural city.
Best time to visit Jaipur: August to March but avoid in summer
Distance from Delhi: 268 km.
How to reach from Jaipur from Delhi?
- By train is the easiest way to reach Jaipur, as it will cost you very less.
- You can take Volvo bus service, public transport, or private taxi as per your convenient.
- Jaipur international airport is another good option if you prefer travelling by flight.
Do ask your neighbors if they have been to Nainital, and especially to those who visited for honeymoon; you’ll find the reason why Nainital is must go destination no matter you live in which city in North India. People lives in Delhi prefer to go hill stations in summer season, and then Nainital becomes the top destination for weekend break. There are some of the unique attractions in city which fulfills all your desire; whether you’re visiting with family, friends or partner.
The boat riding at the Naini Lake, trip to Eco Cave Gardens, photography at the breathtaking hill points, watching scenic spots from Boat House Club, and the spectacular night view of the city are the immense treasures that emerges Nainital as the most popular weekend gateway destination from Delhi.
No matter if you already had a weekend break to Nainital, it can be visited again and again!
Best time to visit Nainital: Winter (Oct to Feb), Summer (March to June)
Nainital Distance from Delhi: 285 km.
How to reach Nainital from Delhi?
- Kathgodam is the nearest railway station near Nainital which is very well connected from Delhi railway station but still 34 km. away from the Nainital city.
- Delhi people usually prefer by road option to reach Nainital. There is very good road connectivity and excellent bus services (AC &Non-AC) between the destinations.
- No operation airport in Nainital due to locate at hills. However, you can take flight to Pantnagar airport but it is 65 km. away from Nainital.
The city of religion, the place of devotion, and the venue of faith – Mathura/Vrindavan is more than just a religious tourist destination. This is the holy place where lord Krishna was born and this is the place which is not only visited by Indians but also by the foreigners from across the world. So don’t be surprised if I tell you this is the family choice weekend gateway to visit from Delhi.
The chant of Hare Krishna-Hare Rama can be heard in every temple in Vrindavan. Couples who married always start their happy life journey either by visiting Mathura or Vaishno Devi Katra, as both religious places can be easily visited on any weekend from Delhi. BTW, I’m not married but still visited all these places many times 🙂 It’s all about faith and belief!
Best time to visit: October to March
Mathura Distance from Delhi: 165km.
How to reach Vrindavan from Delhi by Road (Car, Bus), Flight, and Train?
- No direct bus to Vrindavan but you can take bus to Mathura, from where you can book public/private transport to reach Vrindavan.
- There are lot of direct trains from Delhi to Mathura and Vrindavan.
- No direct flight.
Again one of the most beautiful and the best hill stations in India, Mussoorie aka Queen of Hills! This weekend destination might be an ultimate choice for those people who love to keep travelling and explore. Because there is lot of places to see and enjoy, so Mussoorie should be the right destination if you’re planning family trip on weekend. Start you day with the amazing Kempty waterfall, Gun Hills (the second highest point of Mussoorie accessible by the cable car), the famous mall road, Lake Mist, and Camel’s Back Road for a relaxing walk.
However, few other places can be also visited in Mussoorie but above are the few destinations that you should never miss if you’re in Mussoorie on this weekend.
Best time to visit Mussoorie: November to Feb (winter), March to June in summer season
Mussoorie Distance from Delhi: 275 km.
How to reach Mussoorie?
- Jolly Grant airport is nearest airport from Mussoorie. Once you reach there, hire a taxi to the hills of Mussoorie. It is approximately 60 km.
- Dehradun is the only railway station which is nearby Mussoorie. Use local transport services from outside of the station to reach Mussoorie.
- This is the most recommended way to go Mussoorie from Delhi for a weekend holiday trip. Luxurious to deluxe buses are available from Kashmiri Gate and ISBT bus terminal.
8 Keoladeo National Park (Bharatpur)
Bharatpur Bird Sanctuary or Keoladeo Ghana National Park is the best destinations around Delhi where you can visit with your family. The park is the home to more than 300 bird species, floral species, Peacock, Snakes, Chital, Blackbucks, Sambar, Mongoose, Turtles, and other creatures. As the name tells the story itself, so don’t expect you’ll find here Tiger or Elephant; this is the ideal place for bird watching.
For catching the best moments you will have to wakeup very early and explore the park by foot or pick a rickshaw at the park entrance; other vehicle is not allowed inside the park. The park is very well maintained and you can watch lot of migratory birds even in the off season.
It is hard to express how beautiful is the park surrounding and how much peaceful atmosphere inside the sanctuary; you can’t feel it until you visit yourself!
Note: If you have a DSLR camera, don’t forget to carry it all. Take some pictures and compare all of them with the pics uploaded on Discovery Channel. Let’s see if even a single pic can stand similar with their pics. 🙂 It’s time to break DSLR :):):)
Best time to visit Bharatpur Bird Sanctuary: August to March
Bharatpur Bird Sanctuary Distance from New Delhi: 205 km.
How to reach Keoladeo National Park Bharatpur from Delhi?
- There is lot of regular buses available from Delhi.
- Catch direct train from New Delhi to Bharatpur junction station.
- No flight service.
Again one of the must go weekend tourist destinations near Gurgaon and Delhi. Amritsar, the weekend tour in the city is unique and different than any other nearby places around Delhi. It is religious, it is historical, it is the memorial, and it is cultural. The weekend trip to Amritsar is so completed where you can enjoy every color of the life. Few are the popular attractions that can never be missed-
- Wagah Border Ceremony
- Jallianwala Bagh
- Harmandir Sahib/The Golden Temple
- Akal Takht
- Durgiana Temple
Apart from this, Amritsar is also one of the best places for eating out in India. Mainly the poplar dhabas and the restaurants serve the best food with traditional spicy flavor. Just search online and you will surely find some of the best of them.
Best time to visit Amritsar: October to March
Amritsar City Distance from New Delhi: 450 km.
How to go Amritsar by Road, Flight, and Train?
- Very good bus service between Delhi and Amritsar. However, I prefer you VOLVO because it offers you good comfort.
- Amritsar is one of the main stations in Punjab, so trains are available from Delhi to Amritsar throughout the day.
- You can take flight to Sri Guru Ram Das Jee international airport to reach Amritsar by air.
Another popular hill station in Himanchal that attracts families and couples on weekend from Delhi. It is possible you haven’t heard about this weekend destination before because it isn’t like Shimla, Nainital, Mussoorie, etc.; it is different. The best thing you will not this place crowded.
If you want to be away from the bustle and hustle of the city life, this place is just for you! So plan you trip to Lansdowne if you wish to enjoy lovely climate, peace surroundings, and the unique beauty of the place. Do share your experience once you have been to Lansdowne. Thanks me later! 🙂
Best time to visit Lansdowne hill station: Throughout the year
Distance from Delhi: 250 km.
How to reach Lansdowne hill station from Delhi?
- However, there is regular bus service from Delhi to Lansdowne but in case if you couldn’t get confirm seat, try to reach Pauri, Kotdwar, or Dugadda. Lansdowne is not far from these places.
- Book train ticket from Delhi to Kotdwar railway station. This is the nearest one, just 40 km. away!
- No flight.
Also check the below table for quick weekends trip ideas from Delhi –
Best weekend destinations near Delhi within 100 kms to 500 kms
|Weekend gateways around New Delhi within 100 kms||1. Sultanpur Bird Sanctuary, Delhi|
2. Damdama Lake, Gurgaon
|Weekend gateways near Delhi within 200 kms||1. Vrindavan|
2. Neemrana Fort
|Tourist Places around Delhi within 300 kms||1. Agra|
4. Corbett National Park
|Weekend trip from Delhi within 400 kms||1. Shimla|
|Places to visit from Delhi within 500 kms||1. Pushkar|
4. Dudhwa Tiger Reserve
All done from my end! If you have found this blog good read, do share this post with your friends & family on Facebook, Twitter, Pinterest, Stumble Upon etc. And if you have any thoughts or any query, ask me in the comment box.
Until then, keep visiting Formertourist.com 🙂